The DAAD Scholarship programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long-term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
You may also check:
- World Bank Africa Region 2020 #Blog4Dev Essay Contest for Africans (chance to intern at a World Bank Africa country office/Attend IMF Spring Meetings 2020 in Washington DC)
- Westerwelle Young Founders Programme Spring 2020 for Entrepreneurs (Fully Funded to Berlin, Germany)
- ENI AWARD 2020 Debut in Research: Young Talents from Africa Prize
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Master and PhD studies
Duration of funding
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
The selection process differs between the individual degree programmes. Please see the call for applications for further information.
Usually, the application procedure follows a two-step process. First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution. After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection.
Please find below the list of degree programmes funded within this scholarship programme in the regions West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa, including the links to the respective calls for applications.
West and Central Africa
- University of Abomey – Calavi (UAC) Faculty of Agronomic Sciences, Subject field: Mathematics (Master, PhD)
as well as
International Chair in Mathematical Physics and Applications (CIPMA), Subject fields: Natural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- International Institute for Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE), Subject field: Engineering (Master, PhD)
- University for Development Studies (UDS), Department of Public Health, Subject field: Medicine – Public Health (Master Phil, Master Sc)
- University of Ghana, Regional Institute for Population Studies (RIPS), Subject field: Humanities / Political Science (Master, PhD)
as well as
West African Center for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana, Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- University of Ibadan, Subject fields: Engineering/Agricultural Science (Master Energy Studies, Master Fisheries Management)
- Centre d ‘Etudes Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS), Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
You may also check:
- TRACE Prize 2020 for Investigative Reporting – Uncovering Commercial Bribery (win cash prize of $10,000 USD)
- Marketing Executives needed at Portal Realties Ltd
- Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Award 2020/2021 for Nigerians to Study Abroad
- Addis Ababa University – IPSS, Subject field: Global & Area Studies (PhD)
- Hawassa University – Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (WGCF), Subject field: Agro-Forestry (Master)
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject fields: Information Technology (PhD), Mechanical Engineering (PhD)
- Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Subject field: Health Management (taught at Strathmore University) (PhD)
- Kenyatta University, Subject fields: Biotechnology (PhD), Environmental Planning (PhD), Renewable Energy (Master)
- Moi University, Subject field: Mathematics (PhD)
as well as
East and South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA) – Moi University, Subject fields: Education (Master), Sociology of Education (PhD)
- Mount Kenya University, Subject fields: Medical Surgical Nursing (Master), Public Health (Master)
- Strathmore University, Subject fields: Computer Science/IT (PhD), Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- Alzaiem Alazhari University, Subject field: Family Medicine (Master)
- Ardhi University, Subject fields: Built Environment Analysis (PhD), Housing and Settlement Studies (PhD), Urban Planning and Management (PhD)
- Tanzanian-German Centre for East African Legal Studies (TGCL), University of Dar es Salaam, Subject field: Law (Master)
- Busitema University, Subject field: Public Health (Master)
- Makerere University, Subject fields: Environment and Natural Ressource (Master), Plant Breeding (PhD)
- African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Subject field: Agriculture Economics (PhD)
- International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Subject field: Insect Science (PhD)
Kindly note that the programmes with DAAD scholarships offered in the region of Southern Africa are currently being revised; the list will be updated as soon as the final decision has been made (approximately March 2020).
- Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR), Subject field: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (PhD)
- University of Mauritius, open to all development-related subject fields (PhD, Master full-time as well as part-time)
- Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST), Subject fields: Computer Science (Master), Informatics (Master)
South Africa (In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications -> daad.de/go/de/stipa10000279)
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), Subject field: Mathematical Sciences (PhD)
- African Paediatric Fellowship Programme (APFP), Subject field: Pediatrics, Medicine (Master)
- Centre for Human Rights (CHR), Subject field: Human Rights (Master, PhD)
- Rhodes University, Subject field: Biochemistry and Microbiology/Science (PhD)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject field: Economic and Management Sciences (PhD)
- University of South Africa (UNISA), Subject field: Nanosciences (Master, PhD)
- University of Pretoria – Agriculture and Environmental Studies, Subject field: Agriculture and Environmental Studies (Master, PhD)
See also: In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme “Strengthening Capacities for Land Governance in Africa” (SLGA).