The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of Parliament in 1960. This Act depicts that the NRCS is recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a community based Voluntary Aid Society, auxiliary to and complementing the public authorities in the area of humanitarian interventions.
The NRCS was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in 1961 and admitted by the International Federation of the Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) as the 86th National Society in 1961.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 years
- Location: Abuja
NRCS Headquarters, Abuja, Nigeria
Coordinator Health and Care
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of Parliament in 1960. This Act depicts that the NRCS is recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a community based Voluntary Aid Society, auxiliary to and complementing the public authorities in the area of humanitarian interventions. The NRCS was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in 1961 and admitted by the International Federation of the Red Cross Red Crescent
Societies (IFRC) as the 86th National Society in 1961.
In the past, NRCS faced a number of challenges, which posed a threat to the stability and growth of the institution. This led to a strong dependence on International Partners for funding and thereby threatened the financial sustainability of the Society. Therefore, in 2018 the Governing Board resolved to support senior management to increase the efficiency of the Society’s operations and lead towards its financial sustainability.
In order to achieve this, partnership roundtables were convened to seek technical and financial support from Movement Partners. Commitments were made by a number of the Movement Partners, including the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the British Red Cross (BRC), the Swedish Red Cross (SwRC), the Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross), the Italian Red Cross (ItRC), and the Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC).
With the support from these partners, the Nigerian Red Cross Society developed an approach towards re-positioning the NRCS in the humanitarian and development space through focusing the organization on its core business and adapting the necessary structures, systems and processes to increase efficiency and achieve financial sustainability. While the first steps have been taken, the organization seeks to add to her team the necessary technical and management capacity to drive this process further.
The Health and Care Officer will be responsible for developing and planning programs and trainings in areas relating to health. This position will coordinate the branches in establishing community-based response tools, preparedness and response plans and reporting/ assessment tools.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Health and Care Officer has the following responsibilities:
- Identify heath and care needs within the state and develop a workplan for health programs for the region
- Champion the implementation of low-cost health initiatives working with the team of volunteers in the various divisions of the state
- Coordinate the efforts of volunteers to provide support to immunization campaigns staged in the state
- Facilitate the training of volunteers supporting social mobilization, case management and surveillance of common diseases
- In collaboration with relevant agencies monitor the state level spread and severity of epidemic diseases and proactively communicate emerging health related issues to relevant national focal points of contact as appropriate
- Support regular monitoring and evaluation of state level community-based health programs
- Represent the branch in state level health sector forums and networks
- Ensure all health volunteers at the branch receive the necessary and appropriate technical support
DUTIES APPLICABLE TO ALL STAFF
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of staff and management, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Impact and quality of health and care activities in the state
- Strong network of health volunteers
- Number of lives saved due to public health education efforts
You may also check:
- Friedrich Ebert Foundation 2021/2022 Scholarship for Study in Germany (Funded)
- MTN mPulse Spelling Bee Competition 2021 for primary & secondary school students in Nigeria
- Apply for Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2022 for study in Ireland
Qualifications and Experience
- First degree in Medicine, Public Health or Health-related discipline from reputable institution
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience
- Work experience with other international organisations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies
- Experience in Emergency Health Response and Public Health
- Experience in First Aid Training and Services
Skills and Competencies
- Good leadership and accountability skills
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office tools
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Understanding of NRCS Fundamental Principles and Code of Conduct
- municating, and a curious and effective listener
- Ability to protect the reputation of NRCS through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally minded and showing respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressu
- Articulate when comre and meet deadlines
Method of Application
To apply, send your CV and Cover letter (as one single document) to email@example.com explaining why you should be considered for the position you applied for.
Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
State the Position applied for/Name of Applicant as subject of the email
Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.
Attached herewith is the Job Description for this Position.
Application Deadline: 24th September, 2021.